PROJECT MANAGER – STRATEGIC PLANNING CONSULTANT
Fairmount Ventures (fairmountinc.com) is a social impact business that supports capacity building of the nonprofit sector in its pursuit of an equitable future for all. Core services for nonprofits, public agencies, and philanthropy include resource development & capital campaigns and strategic planning & organizational transformation, inclusive of business planning, executive search, program design & assessment, and mergers & affiliations. Clients benefit from our expertise in: arts and culture; civic and community-building efforts; early childhood, K-12 and higher education; youth development; healthcare; housing; human services; sustainable communities; and workforce development. Fairmount has been a thought partner to more than 400 organizations, helped raise over $800M in new funding, and is sought for our deep understanding of the Philadelphia region and rich set of connections that benefit clients.
Joining Fairmount Ventures’ team at this time is a unique opportunity as the firm engages in team-wide strategic planning and organizational design, asking what the world needs from us and what it will take to answer the call. We seek to grow a team that reflects the diverse communities and organizations we serve. We are excited to welcome someone who shares our commitment to social, economic, gender, and racial justice across the region.
Fairmount is adding a Project Manager to support the full range of Fairmount’s core services, with a primary focus on strategic planning and organizational transformation. This position is fulltime (40 hours per week) and will be full remote until Fall/Winter 2021, shifting to a hybrid schedule with an accessible office in Center City thereafter.
Core responsibilities of the position include:
DESIGN, STRATEGIZE, & ADVISE – Help develop strategies related to mission, programming, funding, and organizational structure. Offer in-the-moment advice to clients as opportunities arise and as their circumstances evolve.
WRITE – Write in many different styles and voices on behalf of clients. Products include concept papers, findings documents, strategic and business plans, foundation proposals, case statements, feasibility studies, and, less often, major donor specific communications, scripts, and talking points.
RESEARCH & ANALYZE – Perform stakeholder interviews; identify best practices and trends; analyze and present visually client program, budget, and resource development data; conduct funder, market, and competitor analyses; research and evaluate funding, donor, partner, and board prospects.
COMMUNICATE – Represent Fairmount to clients and serve as day-to-day contact; manage clients’ funder and donor outreach; engage in and help facilitate client meetings; work independently and collaborate on teams with Fairmount staff.
MANAGE – Balance a diverse portfolio of work with an average of 5-7 clients; oversee junior supporting staff on select client teams; develop and maintain project workplans; track work activities and proactively report to senior client leads.
We are looking for an experienced and curious professional who:
- Is a nonprofit generalist and understands the nuances of nonprofit strategy, organizational development, program design, and fundraising
- Gets energy from pursuing complex questions
- Is excited by being a part of, and learning from, an internal strategic planning process while facilitating strategic planning with their clients
- Has excellent 360 communication skills
- Has competencies in strategic thinking and maintaining a high volume of tactical data
- Thrives in situations that call for equal parts knowledge and experience, good instincts, and keeping a lot of things moving at once
- Is excited to think deeply, ask questions, and challenge assumptions
- Feels comfortable providing thoughtful and strategic advice to external clients
- At least 3 years’ direct experience with nonprofit strategy, program design, and/or grant writing
- Experience with one or more of the following a plus, but not required: organizational development; organizational design; anti-oppressive facilitation; trauma-informed facilitation
- Experience with consulting or an analogous role preferred
- Deep understanding of the nonprofit and philanthropic sectors
- Excellent writing skills; strong research, analytical and organizational skills
- Experience guiding and coaching the work of others
- Facility and comfort with quantitative data and information
- Ability to analyze and respond to situations through a lens of social justice and equity
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively
- Experience managing broad-scale projects & processes and overseeing & mentoring junior staff
- Ability to translate abstract concepts into cogent written products
- Portfolio of relevant, original written materials
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience and available upon request. Fairmount offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, personal, sick, and volunteer time off, medical, and dental coverage, and a 401k retirement plan.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, two original and relevant professional writing samples, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Project Manager” in the subject line. Resumes will be accepted until September 30, 2021.
Fairmount values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply and strive to create an environment where everyone feels empowered to bring their authentic selves to work.