Fairmount Ventures (fairmountinc.com) is a social impact business launched in 1992 to help nonprofits grow and thrive. Core services for nonprofits, public agencies, and philanthropy include resource development & capital campaigns and strategic planning & organizational transformation, inclusive of business planning, executive search, program design & assessment, and mergers & affiliations. Clients benefit from our expertise in: arts and culture; civic and community-building efforts; early childhood, K-12 and higher education; youth development; healthcare; housing; human services; sustainable communities; and workforce development. Fairmount has been a thought partner to more than 400 organizations, helped raise over $800M in new funding, and is sought for our deep understanding of the Philadelphia region and rich set of connections that benefit clients.
Fairmount Ventures believes in advancing justice and we are working to grow a team that reflects the diverse communities and organizations we serve. We are engaged in reflection as we seek to enact our values with intention, drawing lessons from our accomplishments and missteps while approaching the future with curiosity, generative thinking, and equitable collaboration that makes space for diverse identities and lived experiences. We are excited to expand our team and welcome someone who shares our commitment to social, economic, gender, and racial justice across the region.
Fairmount is adding an Associate to support the full range of Fairmount’s core services, with a primary focus on strategic planning and organizational transformation. This position is full time (40 hours per week) and will be fully remote until October 2021, likely shifting to a hybrid schedule with an accessible office in Center City thereafter.
Core responsibilities of the position include:
ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT – Balance a diverse portfolio of client projects with multiple internal and external deadlines; develop and maintain project work plans and information trackers; record meeting notes; schedule meetings and interviews; communicate with internal teams and clients about findings, challenges, and progress; manage online grant submissions on behalf of clients.
WRITING –Draft summaries of research assignments, including initial implications for clients; draft or adapt sections of needs assessments, concept papers, and plans; compose outreach memos for clients to send to their stakeholders; develop proposals for foundations, corporations, and government funding sources through a mix of original writing and adaptation of existing proposals; write profiles for donors and funders, individual donor letters, and other client deliverables.
RESEARCH & ANALYSIS – Conduct stakeholder interviews; synthesize research and identify themes and implications from research and interviews to support strategy development and execution; research best practices, demographic data, market data, budget and fundraising data, foundations and individual donor and board prospects.
We are looking for someone who:
- Feels energized and excited by complex questions and sticky problems.
- Has experience working with diverse populations, colleagues, and clients.
- Has exceptional verbal and written communication skills, with an ability to create connections between concepts and explain complicated ideas clearly and persuasively.
- Can keep their eye on the smallest details of a project while maintaining focus on the big picture.
- Can juggle multiple deadlines, approach work proactively, and stay accountable to themselves and their teammates.
- Is excited to think deeply, ask questions, and challenge assumptions.
- Feels comfortable providing thoughtful and service-oriented support to external clients.
- Interest in advancing the missions and impact of the region’s nonprofits.
- Post-secondary degree with at least 1 year of relevant work experience preferred or some post-secondary education with 2-3 years of relevant work experience.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Solid research, synthesis, and analytical skills.
- Ability to work on multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent organizational skills.
Compensation is competitive. Fairmount Ventures is currently engaged in an organizational design process which includes transparent articulation of job responsibilities and aligned compensation. When the internal work is complete Fairmount will post salaries for open positions publicly. Fairmount offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, personal, sick, and volunteer time off, medical and dental coverage, and a 401k retirement plan.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, two original professional writing samples, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Associate” in the subject line.