Don Kligerman founded Fairmount Ventures to make a difference in the lives of people disenfranchised from resources. For more than 35 years, that moral imperative has driven his work in every segment of the region’s nonprofit sector: education, higher education, arts and culture, environmental sustainability, youth development, community and economic development, healthcare, human services, legal services, affordable housing and advocacy. As a result, Don is one of the region’s leading connectors among the nonprofit, philanthropic, business and public sectors. His expertise in strategic planning and resource development is regularly sought by nonprofits at critical junctures in need of trusted counsel. He enables executives, their boards and staff to make optimal decisions in the face of urgency, uncertainty, and opportunity by helping them discern the path that connects transformative ideas to the right people and financial resources. He is also known to tell people what they don’t want to hear with grace and dignity.
Don’s close working relationships with hundreds of civic leaders across the Philadelphia region is key to Fairmount’s executive search practice. He knows what it takes to be an effective executive in different contexts and stages in an organization’s life. His extensive network and contacts help to source candidates with the right tangible and intangible qualities for success, and then test their fit through people he knows and trusts.
Don is a frequent speaker and facilitator at workshops and retreats for nonprofit professionals and boards of directors. He also serves as a Senior Fellow at the University of Pennsylvania Fels Institute.
- Bachelor of Arts, Philosophy & Urban Studies, Brandeis University
- Certificate, Urban Design, University of Edinburgh, Scotland
- Master of City Planning, University of Pennsylvania
Board memberships (partial listing):
- Executive Committee, Community College of Philadelphia Foundation
- Chair, Philadelphia Corporation for Aging (former)
- President, Philadelphia Parks Alliance (former)
- Philadelphia Zoning Board of Adjustment (former)
- First Person Arts (former)
- Lower Merion Conservancy (former)
- WOMEN’s Way (former)
- The Reinvestment Fund (former)
- Commissioner, Department of Licenses and Inspections, Philadelphia
- Deputy Managing Director, City of Philadelphia
- Manager, Housing Rehabilitation Programs, City of Philadelphia
- Housing Director, Philadelphia Corporation for Aging
“An effective consultant has two ears and one mouth and uses them proportionally.”